25 Oktober 2010

» Home » Google Trends » Rachael Leigh Cook Encourages Young Girls To Google Photoshop Tutorial

Rachael Leigh Cook Encourages Young Girls To Google Photoshop Tutorial

Actress Rachael Leigh Cook is mad over unrealistic media images and is encouraging people to google photoshop tutorial so they understand that sometimes what you see isn’t what you get! The actress is speaking out against how she feels the media is portraying women and how that impacts our youth. Being a young actress Rachael Leigh Cook knows about the pressures to look a certain way, and how one is treated by the media if you don’t. Cook, Geena Davis, The Creative Coalition, and Girl Scouts of the USA have teamed up for a Summit in Washington, D.C to address the impact of media images on youth.


“I did not grow up getting told about how manipulated the images we see of women and girls out there are, and I think it’s an absolute travesty that young women are seeing what the media is feeding them,” Cook told Pop Tarts. “It breaks my heart to be part of an industry and part of a machine that really pushes out these images and propagates these really terrible standards that are false.”
The actress spoke about her first real experience with body issues while filming a movie when she was 15;
“I remember gaining quite a bit of weight on the first movie that I worked on because, ‘hey, free food!’. You’re at that stage where your body is just changing so actively, so it was a natural change, but I remember finishing that film and realizing that I had gained probably 10 pounds over the course of filming which is a lot when you’re only 5′2,” Cook said. “I knew then that I needed to go and really try and get healthy. I went too far in the other direction and I worried my parents for a while, I think it’s fair to say. I think that it’s something that many, many teenage girls go through, especially ones that are achievers and ambitious. You’re looking for a sense of control, and when you’re in a really transitional phase in your teenage years, I think it’s a pretty normal reaction to develop food issues.”
It’s refreshing to see a star like Cook speak out on how the media is manipulating our young girls into thinking they need to be an ideal that isn’t attainable. The star said that every young girl should Google ‘Photoshop Tutorial’ so that they know just how manipulated those images are that we see in the magazines and online.
“Nothing that you see is real, even if you look at what looks like a candid photo of someone, anything can be done. It is false advertising and false advertising is a crime so why isn’t this a crime? I’m just up in arms about it,” Cook added. “People need to know that there are actual lenses that are put on cameras that make people stretched out. If you saw these actors in person, you wouldn’t even recognize them as the people you see on TV. It’s just all a complete illusion and maybe it should be viewed as art, the way that art isn’t real. The way that a picture of a rose can be beautiful, but it’s not a real rose.”
I hope other celebrities will join this initiative. Do you think that with celebrity endorsement that this initiative can make a difference?